End of 2014 leads to an update of the GIIN list, showing all registered FFIs per country.
The list now has over 147.000 FFIs as opposed to the December version that had just under 123.000 FFIs, an increase of more than 24.000 (up 16%, biggest increase since the start of the list in June 2014).
I want to point out some interesting facts:
- Although the top 25 countries remain unchanged the number of FFIs for these countries has increased with about 15%: more than 20.000 FFIs have registered before Jan 1st 2015;
- The two leaders The United Kingdom and Cayman Islands respectively show an increase of 25%, 5300 FFIs, and an increase of 16%, with over 4000 FFIs;
- Saudi Arabia shows one of the largest relative increases, 72% – from 44 to 149;
- In Andorra and in Uganda the number of registered FFIs decreased;
- Five new countries are in the list:
PALAU BOUVET ISLAND HOLY SEE (VATICAN CITY STATE) NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS MICRONESIA, FEDERATED STATES OF SOMALIA
- As the Indian Government has published a statement on 30 December 2014 urging Indian FFIs to register before the end of 2014 I expect a large increase of the number of FFIs, up from the current 442. The closing date for the current list was December 23rd, thus making it impossible for Indian FFIs to make the January list if they acted on the government statement.